I hope you’re having a fantastic week so far! WHOOOPA!
This week I’d like to share with you 1 simple thing you can do to help tackle childhood obesity: change your environment.
The rise in childhood obesity over the last 10 years is partly due to a change in our environment. Nowadays, many children play on the PlayStation instead of outside; we drive cars instead of walking; and we eat bags of sweets and crisps that are so much bigger than they used to be. Human beings are complex creatures that adapt to the environment. Because our environment has changed so much over the last 10 years, so have our bodies.
One way to help reverse the childhood obesity pandemic is to make changes to the environment we live in. Let’s turn the ‘obese environment’ into the ‘lean environment’. This applies to the home and the classroom.
Here are some practical steps you can take to make this happen…
1) Reduce time spent sitting at the screen.
2) Buy smaller bags on sweets instead of bigger ones.
3) Allow juice or fizzy drinks at special occasions only or on a Saturday afternoon.
4) Make one day a week a ‘Family Fitness Day’ – go to the park, make a fun exercise circuit in your garden, and do some Jump Start Jonny!
5) Remove sugary, fatty and processed foods from the house and only buy healthy ingredients.
6) In the classroom, have regular activity breaks.
7) In the classroom, always have a ‘healthy display’ on the wall.
8) In school, get everyone doing Jump Start Jonny in assembly!
It doesn’t matter how many changes you make or how big they are. It only matter that you do SOMETHING! Something is always better than nothing!
Stay awesome and let me know how you get on!
Jump Start Jonny
PS – If you’d like to get awesome stuff like this in an email every week, then click here to sign up for my newsletter!